Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Short Story

I decided to begin my blogging career by posting a short story I wrote last year. It's a simple and sad tale of the creative process and the odd things that can inspire an artist...in this case...a friend's suicide.

I hope you enjoy it.


The Reverse
“It’s a sure thing.”

He could hear Andy’s voice repeating the words over and over in his mind.

“It’s a sure thing.”

“A sure thing that cost him his life,” he mumbled to himself as he lit a cigar and stared at the blank piece of canvas he had just placed on his easel.

He had hoped that painting would take his mind off the senseless tragedy…but he couldn’t paint a stroke. The image of Andy with a bullet hole in his head kept appearing on the vast sheet of white in front of him…and he knew he didn’t want to paint that.

He sat back in his chair and puffed on his cigar. Closing his eyes, he thought back to the first time he’d met Andy.

It was in the dining room of his brother’s hotel, the St. Stephen, where he had first seen the lanky young man. Tall as a bean pole and just as thin but full of energy and eager to please...that was Andy.  He had approached the table with his most earnest smile and asked in the sweetest of voices, “Have you decided sir, or would you like a little more time with the menu?”

He liked him.

“Yes,” he replied, “I think I’m ready…I’ll have the porterhouse, medium rare, with a baked potato and string beans, if you please. And a beer.” He flipped the menu shut and handed it to the young man, who smiled, bowed slightly and vanished into the kitchen.

Yes indeed, he liked this young man very much. His brother had chosen well when he hired him.

“Tell me,” he asked when the waiter returned with his beer, “what’s your name, son?”

“Andy Wilbert,” the young man replied, “why?”

“Oh no reason. I’m a ‘regular’ in here,” he explained, “My brother owns the place and gives me a break on my meals so I’m here just about every evening…know all the waiters on a first name basis. You’re new, aren’t you?”

“Yes sir,” Andy replied with a proud smile, “just started today.”

“Well, if you’ve paid as much attention to your other customers as you have to me I’d say you’re going to make out just fine.  Name’s Albert, by the way…Albert Ryder…” he said extending his large hand to the young man, “…nice to meet you, Andy.”

“Nice to meet you, sir,” Andy replied taking Ryder’s hand in a firm shake. “Let me go check on your steak, it should be about ready.”

“Thank you.”

That was five years ago.

He and Andy had become good friends in those five years…sharing many a good story and having many a hearty laugh.

They shared several interests, the greatest being horse racing. Ryder loved to go to the races just to watch the horses run. Their grace and strength never failed to fascinate him. Andy, on the other hand, saw the races as a fast way to make cash. He went every time he had a day off and sometimes he’d come back the next evening and share the triumph of his winnings with Ryder…but there was many a time that he just about cried in the artist’s soup over his losses.

“Why do you do it?” Ryder asked him one night after a particularly bad loss. “Why do you keep yourself on this rollercoaster ride with your money? I don’t know what Will pays you fellas, and I’m sure you do well with tips, but I’m also sure you don’t have money to just throw around. I’m not trying to tell you how to live your life, Andy, but …well…golly! It seems awful dumb to me…no offense…”

“None taken,” the young man replied flatly, “You’re right too. But I can’t seem to stop. It’s the excitement I think…the excitement of watching your horse run and seeing him win…it’s that even more than the money, but having money on it makes it even more exciting…know what I mean?”

Ryder nodded. “Yes, I know. I’ve put a few dollars on the ponies now and then but I’ve never made a habit of it. You need to be careful, Andy. I’ve seen many a man fished out of the river or heard of them being found hanging in their rooms because they lost everything on a race. It’s not worth it, son.”

“Oh don’t worry about nothing like that happening to me,” Andy answered in an up-beat voice. “I never wager that much! And I usually have some idea of the nag’s chances when I do. I don’t lose that often.”

“You lose often enough!” Ryder replied, but the young man laughed and walked into the kitchen to put in his order. “Oh well,” Ryder thought to himself, “I guess he’ll be okay.” And with that thought he dropped the subject.

Oh how he wished he hadn’t dropped it. How he wished that he had harped on it until Andy had sworn off the ponies for good…but it was too late for that now. Why hadn’t he stopped him? When he came to him that evening, before the Brooklyn Handicap, and said he had pawned everything he owned and was going to put it all on the Dwyer brothers’ horse, Hannover, to win. Why hadn’t he stopped him…why…why?

But how could he? Andy was high on the adrenalin of gambling. And the Dwyer brothers had just about guaranteed in every paper in town that Hannover was a shoo-in.

“It’s a sure thing!” Andy had said in excited tones the evening before the race as Ryder stared at him over his roast beef dinner. “It’s surer than anything else in the world! That horse is a dynamo! He’ll leave ‘em all in the dust! You’ll see!”

“I hope you’re right for your sake,” the artist had replied.

“Of course I am!” Andy assured him, “Why I’ll be rich by this time tomorrow night. I’ll be wealthy enough to buy one of your paintings!”

Ryder smiled weakly. “I hope so, Andy…I sure hope so.”

“Why sure…,”Andy continued, “…why I might order a special painting…one of Hannover and me maybe…Yeah…To hang over my fireplace,” he placed a thumb in his vest and puffed up his chest like a pigeon in heat. “Yes sir’ee! That’s just what I’ll do.”

He was still flying high when Ryder left the restaurant to return to his studio. Still talking up what he was going to do with all that money after his big win.

It was the last time Ryder would ever see him.

The next day the Brooklyn Handicap was run and Hannover came in . . . third.

Ryder was heartbroken for his young friend when he heard the news. He arrived at the restaurant that evening with a heavy heart, ready to listen to Andy’s sob story. But he wasn’t there.

He wasn’t there the next night either, or the next.

Ryder finally approached his brother regarding the prodigal waiter asking if he had heard from him.

“No,” William Ryder replied in a huff, “and I’ll guarantee you that when I do I’ll give him a good piece of my mind and then the boot!”

“Maybe something’s happened to him, Will,” Ryder said in concerned tones. “Couldn’t you send someone ‘round to check on him?”

William stared at his brother in exasperated silence. Albert was such a dreamer and such a damn good scout. He believed there was good in everyone, even a no-account waiter like Andy Wilbert.

“Oh…Alright. “ William finally replied. “Joe! Come ‘ere.”

A portly waiter with a pleasant expression responded.

“Joe, you know where Wilbert lives don’t you?”

“Andy? Sure, boss, why?

“I want you to go around to his place when you get off and find out if he’s sick or skipped town. Will you do that for me?”

“Sure, boss. Is that all?”

“If he’s there tell him to get himself in here or he’ll be out of a job.”

“Will do,” Joe responded and walked back towards a waiting couple at one of his tables.

“Thanks, Will,” Ryder said, “I’ll feel better knowing he’s safe and sound.”

“Okay…I’ll let you know as soon as I hear anything, now get outta here will ya. I’ve got a hotel to run.”

Ryder smiled shyly and headed back to his studio to await word.

He was in the middle of stretching a canvas when the knock came at his door.

“C’mon in,” he called through teeth clenched around one of his ever present cigars.

William entered… a stricken look on his face that prompted Ryder to drop his work and guide his brother to a seat, from which he pushed a pile of drawings and empty paint tubes in order for his brother to sit.

“What is it Will? What’s wrong,” the artist asked, his own anxiety growing by the minute.

“It’s…it’s Andy…,” the elder Ryder responded. “He…he’s dead…shot himself…probably been dead a couple of days.”

“Since the Brooklyn Handicap,” Ryder said softly.

“What?”

“Doesn’t matter. How did Joe manage to get into Andy’s place to find him? Did he have a key?”

“No…No one answered when he knocked and he noticed an odd smell coming from the room so he called the cops and they got the landlord to let them in,” William explained. “I’m sorry, Albert. I know how fond you were of him.”

“Yes,” Ryder answered flatly, “…he was a good kid…except for that damn gambling. I knew it would do him in…I just knew it!”

“There was nothing anyone could have done to help him, Albert. He was pretty well hooked. Well…,” William said rising from his seat, “…I have to get back and tell the rest of the staff. Andy didn’t have any family, so we’ll need to arrange a send off for him. I’ll let you know the details when they’re all set.”

“Yes, please do,” Ryder said, “I’ll be glad to chip in on the cost.”

“Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. Will you be around for dinner?”

“Not tonight…I don’t think.”

“Okay. I’m sorry, Albert. I really am.”

Ryder nodded acknowledgement of that last statement and closed the door behind his brother’s departing form.

He walked over to the chair and sat down, staring blankly out the window, trying to think of how he could have saved his friend.  But he knew it was no use…as Will had said, Andy was “pretty well hooked.” There was no other way that his story could have ended.

For a while he sat frozen in his chair, Andy’s “It’s a sure thing” ringing in his ears. He stared at the canvas he had just stretched and put on his easel. “If I could just paint something…take my mind off it,” he thought to himself.

“…I might order a special painting…one of Hannover and me maybe…,” 

“A painting of Hannover and you,” he addressed to his absent friend. “Sure. Why not?”

He rose from his chair and approached the easel, pencil in hand to make a basic sketch and began to draw a horse in profile.

As he drew the animal his anger and helplessness began to seethe inside him. “Damn horses,” he growled angrily. “Damn racing,” he added in a louder voice. “DAMN GAMBLING,” he shouted as he finished the tip of the horse’s back hoof.

“How much death and grief has gambling caused,” he pondered as he began putting paint on his palette.

He looked up at the sketch he had just completed and suddenly saw what he wanted to paint…what he had to paint to purge his mind of his friend’s suicide.

He began to fill in the horse in a pale shade of deathly gray, and then began to paint a background of a race track. The horse was running the wrong way on the track, but that didn’t matter to Ryder. “It symbolizes death,” he reasoned to himself as he continued to add the somber background in shades of dark green and brown. He filled the sky with his trademark ominous clouds and added a dead tree to stress the somberness of the scene…then a snake, the biblical harbinger of evil and death, was added to the very bottom of the canvas, slithering out of the swampy ooze next to a broken rail of the track.

He stood back and looked at his creation. “Not strong enough,” he mumbled and stepped back to the canvas where he added one last element to the picture…a figure riding the horse…a figure with skeletal facial features and a scythe…Death.

“There,” he said to himself in a satisfied tone. “There’s your painting, Andy.”

“The Race Track” also known as “The Reverse” and “Death on a Pale Horse” is now considered one of Ryder’s greatest masterpieces. While it was reworked between its creation in 1895 up to 1910 and perhaps even later by the never-satisfied artist, its starkness and power were never reduced. It remains one of the greatest pieces of American art ever created and one of the greatest monuments to a friend’s memory.

No comments: